Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the school year?
Our annual season begins in September and ends with our recital in June.
We also offer summer classes! For more information about our summer programs, click the "Summer" tab at the top of this page.
We do not hold classes during the month of July because we encourage our advanced dancers to audition for summer intensive programs around the country. For a complete list of preferred schools, please stop by the office.
Do you have a recital?
Absolutely! The Ballet Class stages our annual recital at the Rye Country Day School's Performing Arts Center in June. Our recital features story-driven choreography created by our founder Lynne Stetson set to baroque, classical and twentieth-century orchestral works that is inspired by her time dancing at the New York City Ballet under George Balanchine. We also create original pieces that are tailored to the individual abilities and talents of our students.
How is tuition handled?
Our annual tuition is paid in two installments (60% is due upon enrollment and the remaining 40% is due on December 1st). We accept credit card payments through our secure online system. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We offer a sibling discount of 5% for families with multiple students. *Tuition is non-refundable.*
Please see the "Levels" page for tuition pricing.
What should I wear to class?
For class leotard colors, please see the "Levels" page. Please see the "Policies" page for information on general ballet attire.
Do I have to wear my hair in a bun?
Absolutely! Fastening hair in a secure bun is an important part of the beauty and discipline of ballet. A secure bun gives the student freedom to concentrate on her technique instead of fussing with her hair.
When do ballet students start en pointe?
Students start pointe by invitation from the director only in Level A2. There is no specific age for starting pointe. In determining pointe readiness, each student is evaluated by her length of study, weekly attendance, muscular strength, and anatomical makeup of the foot.
What is your policy on attendance and tardiness?
In order for all of our students to excel in ballet, we ask that students adhere to our recommended minimum classes and should make-up any missed classes in a prompt fashion. Each level’s minimum requirements have been carefully thought out by our experienced faculty to help facilitate balletic knowledge, growth and confidence.
It is important to be on time in life and it is the same here at The Ballet Class. Students should arrive ten minutes before class begins to stretch and warm-up. Arriving after class starts is disruptive to the teacher and the other students. Any child who arrives more than 10 minutes late will need to report to the office before entering the studio. Dancers who arrive late may be asked to sit and watch class.
Do you hold classes for boys?
Yes! Boys and girls begin ballet in the same class. However, boys require separate training in the advanced levels due to the need for specialized strength and partnering training.
Can my child take extra ballet classes per week?
Absolutely! We love when dancers are excited about ballet and want to take more classes! Contact Miss Ashlee to ask about adding classes to your child's schedule!